Staying out of trouble this Summer
My oldest gets into trouble when he has nothing to do, despite my best efforts he is the type of person who does not occupy himself well. Unless he's reading..
So when a friend asked me if we have a structured routine over the summer it hit me, I don't but I need to! My girls occupy each other well but we're going to need some type of plan for the whole family.
You know that quote going around social media that says we only have 18 summers with our kids? That plays a part too, I am no Pinterest-Mom or even an Insta-Perfect Mom but I am a mom striving to live in the moment with my kids before it's gone. It's a struggle ya'll, I am always thinking about what's next and what is expected of me after we're done.
In the spirit of being transparent, we got into some debt last year trying to stay afloat in Tim's career change. So working hard to pay that off means we have a tight summer budget! We usually do but this year is especially tight as we're implementing the Dave Ramsey tools to financial freedom.
And finally, here's what our summer plans look like:
The library offers some awesome FREE events, hands on learning opportunities! Every Thursday afternoon you will find us Burtons at "3rd-5th Grade Adventures" where Asher will be doing this thing like decorating a canvas tote bag for his library books or solving a mystery at the library.
On the Thursdays we're not there you'll be able to find us at Marbles "Twilight $2 Thursday" where we can get in after 3pm for $2 a person and enjoy their extended hours! These days we will have to put dinner in the crockpot or pack food. This will be a great way to wear them out!
Chick-Fil-A will often have fun events too, a few of the local ones (to us) do a "family night" once a month with something fun for the kids like free face painting or a craft. July 10th is Cow Appreciation Day, and the Burtons will be ready with our cow costume shirts I made us last year!
Another resource I found is a website with a whole compilation of events local to me. With this website, no one will be bored!
I do plan to make sure we are HOME all day one day each week, and that's totally for me. My kids would love to be going and doing all day errrday but Mama needs a break!
The same goes for Saturdays, we don't plan anything for Sundays as it's our day of rest but Saturdays it's hard to say no to all the fun things happening! I have learned the hard way that Tim needs a whole weekend of no plans every now and then since he travels every week. So once a month we have a "No Plans Saturday" and everyone except Asher enjoys it 😂
There will be some days we'll crash some friend's pools, plan playdates and park days. You'll find us at the beach as often as we can fit it in the budget and the lake beaches when we can't 😉 Plus, new splash pad opened up near us that's $2 a person!
Of course we'll hit up a few $1 Movies!
The museums downtown do some pretty cool presentations on animals for free almost every day! We plan to check those out as well when we can!
This is what I have so far! I'd love to hear what my friends have planned too!
So when a friend asked me if we have a structured routine over the summer it hit me, I don't but I need to! My girls occupy each other well but we're going to need some type of plan for the whole family.
You know that quote going around social media that says we only have 18 summers with our kids? That plays a part too, I am no Pinterest-Mom or even an Insta-Perfect Mom but I am a mom striving to live in the moment with my kids before it's gone. It's a struggle ya'll, I am always thinking about what's next and what is expected of me after we're done.
In the spirit of being transparent, we got into some debt last year trying to stay afloat in Tim's career change. So working hard to pay that off means we have a tight summer budget! We usually do but this year is especially tight as we're implementing the Dave Ramsey tools to financial freedom.
And finally, here's what our summer plans look like:
The library offers some awesome FREE events, hands on learning opportunities! Every Thursday afternoon you will find us Burtons at "3rd-5th Grade Adventures" where Asher will be doing this thing like decorating a canvas tote bag for his library books or solving a mystery at the library.
On the Thursdays we're not there you'll be able to find us at Marbles "Twilight $2 Thursday" where we can get in after 3pm for $2 a person and enjoy their extended hours! These days we will have to put dinner in the crockpot or pack food. This will be a great way to wear them out!
Chick-Fil-A will often have fun events too, a few of the local ones (to us) do a "family night" once a month with something fun for the kids like free face painting or a craft. July 10th is Cow Appreciation Day, and the Burtons will be ready with our cow costume shirts I made us last year!
Another resource I found is a website with a whole compilation of events local to me. With this website, no one will be bored!
I do plan to make sure we are HOME all day one day each week, and that's totally for me. My kids would love to be going and doing all day errrday but Mama needs a break!
The same goes for Saturdays, we don't plan anything for Sundays as it's our day of rest but Saturdays it's hard to say no to all the fun things happening! I have learned the hard way that Tim needs a whole weekend of no plans every now and then since he travels every week. So once a month we have a "No Plans Saturday" and everyone except Asher enjoys it 😂
There will be some days we'll crash some friend's pools, plan playdates and park days. You'll find us at the beach as often as we can fit it in the budget and the lake beaches when we can't 😉 Plus, new splash pad opened up near us that's $2 a person!
Of course we'll hit up a few $1 Movies!
The museums downtown do some pretty cool presentations on animals for free almost every day! We plan to check those out as well when we can!
This is what I have so far! I'd love to hear what my friends have planned too!


Comments
Post a Comment