New School
I'm going to do my best to keep this short and sweet.
I have always struggled with the right education choice for my children. Homeschool, public school, private school? What is best for us? I was homeschooled and I truly believe it is the best education a child can get. We tried it. We tried public school. We tried homeschool again.
Finally I have peace, my kids are going to a Charter School, and not just any charter school but one that is 12 minutes from my house and founded my a couple of county teachers that were fed up with the system and wanted to create a better way.
Of course I was nervous for a change in schools for Asher and Laila's very first experience away from me all day. Open House changed everything.
Let me preface this story with saying Tim and I have prayed about what the right choice was and prayed our kids would get matched with the right teachers. Especially our Laila girl, so shy, non-verbal except parents and siblings, so anxious about things sometimes.
We lugged all the school supplies through the brand new building that was still getting it's finishing touches. We started with Asher's class. 5th Grade is a big deal! Several teachers, more serious homework, higher learning level.
Asher fell in love with Mrs. J the second she opened her mouth, she has a British accent and much to my embarrassment he announced he could listen to her talk all day. Her room was neat and orderly, her policies are no nonsense and structured. She was patient with his nervous chatter and weird things 10 year olds say to make themselves sound older and relevant. Mrs J's class is the perfect place for him. Also it's on the second floor which he thinks is awesome.
Ms. V will be loving on our Laila girl this year. Her room is colorful and exciting, everything is labeled in English and Spanish, there's a toilet and sink in the bathroom what was so tiny and cute it made Laila squeal.
Upon entering we were handed a checklist of all we were to complete before leaving the open house. I liked her already. The room was so well organized which I loved, but after Ms V showed Laila some things around the room she told me "I think I love it already!"
But here's the best part. We got the chance to chat with her about how Laila doesn't talk, how we have prayed she'd be matched with the right teacher, and through my tears I told her she was the perfect match. Through conversation I learned that her teacher
- is a praying Christian (and committed to pray for Laila too)
- minored in psychology
- is engaged to a child psychologist who specializes in grief/bereavement
- homeschooled her own children
- loves to teach kids to read (I was so worried her not reading yet would hold her back)
- loves to be silly with the kids
Seriously y'all, Ms. V could not be more perfect for my girl this year. It put our parent hearts at ease and Laila is even more excited to start! She said she thinks that Laila's silence will be a short term issue.
Of course this will be a transition, Asher struggles with this. I am praying it's easier than last year. Laila seems to handle it better but going to school all day is the biggest change in her little life so far. We're also praying for Ana to transition easily, she says Laila is her bestie, her twinsie, her sister. They play together all day every day. It will be so hard for them to be apart.
Now Elyanna was accepted into preschool! I wanted to shout it from the rooftops the day I got the call she had been bumped up the wait list. I don't know why I didn't.. But she is SO excited to go and even more excited that she has her own backpack and lunchbox. This will be 3 half days a week, perfect. Although she doesn't start until after Labor Day, something that might prove a little difficult to explain when her brother and sister go to school and she doesn't. Wish us luck!
I have always struggled with the right education choice for my children. Homeschool, public school, private school? What is best for us? I was homeschooled and I truly believe it is the best education a child can get. We tried it. We tried public school. We tried homeschool again.
Finally I have peace, my kids are going to a Charter School, and not just any charter school but one that is 12 minutes from my house and founded my a couple of county teachers that were fed up with the system and wanted to create a better way.
Of course I was nervous for a change in schools for Asher and Laila's very first experience away from me all day. Open House changed everything.
Let me preface this story with saying Tim and I have prayed about what the right choice was and prayed our kids would get matched with the right teachers. Especially our Laila girl, so shy, non-verbal except parents and siblings, so anxious about things sometimes.
We lugged all the school supplies through the brand new building that was still getting it's finishing touches. We started with Asher's class. 5th Grade is a big deal! Several teachers, more serious homework, higher learning level.
Asher fell in love with Mrs. J the second she opened her mouth, she has a British accent and much to my embarrassment he announced he could listen to her talk all day. Her room was neat and orderly, her policies are no nonsense and structured. She was patient with his nervous chatter and weird things 10 year olds say to make themselves sound older and relevant. Mrs J's class is the perfect place for him. Also it's on the second floor which he thinks is awesome.
Ms. V will be loving on our Laila girl this year. Her room is colorful and exciting, everything is labeled in English and Spanish, there's a toilet and sink in the bathroom what was so tiny and cute it made Laila squeal.
Upon entering we were handed a checklist of all we were to complete before leaving the open house. I liked her already. The room was so well organized which I loved, but after Ms V showed Laila some things around the room she told me "I think I love it already!"
But here's the best part. We got the chance to chat with her about how Laila doesn't talk, how we have prayed she'd be matched with the right teacher, and through my tears I told her she was the perfect match. Through conversation I learned that her teacher
- is a praying Christian (and committed to pray for Laila too)
- minored in psychology
- is engaged to a child psychologist who specializes in grief/bereavement
- homeschooled her own children
- loves to teach kids to read (I was so worried her not reading yet would hold her back)
- loves to be silly with the kids
Seriously y'all, Ms. V could not be more perfect for my girl this year. It put our parent hearts at ease and Laila is even more excited to start! She said she thinks that Laila's silence will be a short term issue.
Of course this will be a transition, Asher struggles with this. I am praying it's easier than last year. Laila seems to handle it better but going to school all day is the biggest change in her little life so far. We're also praying for Ana to transition easily, she says Laila is her bestie, her twinsie, her sister. They play together all day every day. It will be so hard for them to be apart.
Now Elyanna was accepted into preschool! I wanted to shout it from the rooftops the day I got the call she had been bumped up the wait list. I don't know why I didn't.. But she is SO excited to go and even more excited that she has her own backpack and lunchbox. This will be 3 half days a week, perfect. Although she doesn't start until after Labor Day, something that might prove a little difficult to explain when her brother and sister go to school and she doesn't. Wish us luck!
Comments
Post a Comment